allow time in the field or in meetings to be used more effectively for clarification, detailed discussion and collection of missing or supplementary information.
3.1 Mobilize the assessment team
The assessment manager will identify, assemble and mobilize the assessment team. A mix of technical skills and expertise on the assessment team is required to cover all facets of the PEFA assessment including macroeconomics, budget planning, preparation and execution, debt management, public sector performance measurement, capital and asset management, accounting, revenue administration, procurement, internal control and audit. The core assessment team members should be experienced PFM practitioners, ideally with prior knowledge of the country or government being assessed. The core members may be complemented by additional input from specialists in particular areas not covered by the core members. If expert consultants need to be hired, sufficient time should be built in to the planning stage to undertake procurement and secure the necessary
expertise. Ideally, all members of the assessment team should start fieldwork at the same time.
The assessment team is headed by a team leader, who is responsible for the quality of the assessment. The team leader needs to have previous experience in leading preparation of PEFA assessments. The team leader needs to have good leadership, communication and organizational skills as well as the ability to build strong working relationships with the assessment team members and between the assessment team and client country officials and other stakeholders. It is important that all assessors on the assessment team have good analytical and written communication skills. The team leader and assessment team members must also understand the linkages between the different components of the PFM system and the impact of the performance of each component on the broad outcomes of fiscal management. The assessment manager will be responsible for establishing individual concept note/ToRs for assessment team members.
Box 3: Assessment management and quality assurance arrangements
PEFA assessment management organization
- OT – chair and members: [name and organization of each]
- AM: [name and organization]
- Assessment TL and team members: [name and organization of each]
Review of CN and/or ToR
- Date of reviewed draft CN and/or ToR:
- Invited reviewers: [name and organization of each, or identity of the group, e.g., the oversight team]
- Reviewers who provided comments: [name and organization of each, in particular the PEFA Secretariat and date(s) of its review(s), or identity of group, e.g., the OT]
- Date(s) of final CN and/or ToR
Review of the assessment report
- Date(s) of reviewed draft report(s):
- Invited reviewers: [name and organization of each, in particular the PEFA Secretariat and date(s) of its review(s), or identity of group, e.g., the OT]; and reviewers who provided comments: [name and organization of each]
Phase One: Planning the PEFA Assessment