THE REVISED GUIDANCE FOR SUBNATIONAL GOVERNMENT PEFA ASSESSMENTS IS AVAILABLE FOR PILOTING
The document provides PEFA users with guidance on the application of the PEFA Framework at the subnational level. This version of the revised Guidance for Subnational Government (SNG) PEFA assessments is available for piloting for at least one full year.
The piloting phase aims to:
- Refine the calibration of new/adjusted indicators and dimensions to reflect good practices at the SNG PFM performance;
- Refine and further improve the two supplementary modules- service delivery and the full overview of the PFM performance at SNG level.
Versions in French, Spanish and Portuguese will be translated and will be available soon.
The revised guidance proposes the following:
- Revising the framework by adjusting some indicators, introducing a new pillar on intergovernmental fiscal relations and introducing two new indicators (i.e. HLG2: Fiscal rules and monitoring of fiscal position and public consultation).
- Adjusting the SNG PEFA assessment process by recommending preparation of an annex to the concept note to identify which PEFA indicators and dimensions are relevant for the SNG or the set of SNGs being assessed;
- Introducing a supplementary module on service delivery. The service delivery module consists of a set of diagnostic questions mapped to the relevant PEFA framework indicators to collect and analyze information, aiming to assess the extent to which the SNG’s public financial management (PFM) performance effects service delivery. It is intended to be conducted on an optional basis concurrently with a PEFA assessment the analysis presented as an Annex of the PEFA assessment report.
- Introducing a supplementary module on how to get a full overview of the PFM performance at SNG level. The module is a set of diagnostic questions mapped to the relevant PEFA framework indicators to collect and analyze information aiming to assess the influence of central government on the PFM functions that are performed at the SNG level. It is intended to be conducted on an optional basis concurrently with a PEFA assessment and presented in the PEFA report. Its findings will be summarized in a consolidated report.
The guidance for SNG PEFA assessments will be updated to reflect feedback from users and to incorporate findings from the pilot testing. Each revised edition will include a summary of changes from the previous versions and will be dated at the time of release.
Users are reminded that, before commencing a PEFA assessment, they should refer to the PEFA website (www.pefa.org) to ensure that they are using the most current version of the guidance.
Questions and comments on the present document can be sent to the PEFA Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us also if your subnational government is interested in piloting the revised Guidance for SNG PEFA assessments and its two supplementary modules.